Tuesday 25 November 2014

Why I switch the TV off.

If I ruled the TV world I would ban all quiz shows. I have no idea what relevance they contribute to society, apart from a headache. Another one crossed off my list would be Jeremy Kyle, as I really don't need to know why a broken toothed chap in a track suit has slept with his girlfriends sister. Only recently did I purchase a TV for my living room, and even now I barely watch it. Just a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that the only time you know when you're watching compelling TV, is when you have to resist the urge of emptying your bladder. Believe me, if you're making several trips to the toilet when your favourite programme is on, you're either drinking too much or it's time to switch over. The only two real ingredients to great TV is humour and aggression - that's why Jeremy Kyle is popular. However, Jeremy Kyle isn't able to provide anything educational to its audience. If I wanted to watch something a bit more educational than Jeremy Kyle, I would hang out in a ghetto part of London, where I would be able to watch an episode like that in real life. When we watch TV we want to see extremes: it either fascinates you because you cannot relate to it at all, or, you can relate to it immensely and laugh out loud. That's why there is a lot of rubbish on our screens. Children are exposed to a lot of television from a young age, and if the government wants to see a decrease in crime committed by adolescent youths, and an increase in young people wanting to learn more about the the world, they need to ensure that production companies are making television which adds to our future generations' educational needs. From most of my unfortunate observations, the only time I will watch TV is if it teaches me something, if it is highly entertaining and if it adds some tension. And if it doesn't have all three, I tend to switch the box off.

2 comments: